Welcome to our sixth day of 12 Days of Cookies. In this series, I'm taking one basic butter dough, making it ahead of time, and turning it into 12 different cookies. Today, we're doing a spin on a fruity winter treat, Tiramisu Cookies.
Tiramisu, where Italian sophistication meets the comfort of a classic cookie. Tiramisu Cookies are our twist on this timeless dessert, blending traditional luxury with modern simplicity. All anchored by the subtle brilliance of our Basic Butter Dough.
Tiramisu in America
The journey of Tiramisu from the cobblestone streets of Italy to the American dessert scene happened gradually over the latter half of the 20th century. Tiramisu, with its layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers and creamy mascarpone, first gained recognition in the United States in the 1980s, becoming a symbol of refined indulgence. As Italian cuisine surged in popularity, Tiramisu rode the wave, making its way from specialty Italian restaurants to mainstream American dining. The dessert's allure lies in its ability to balance rich, coffee-infused flavors with the delicate sweetness of mascarpone, creating a sophisticated treat that resonates with diverse palates. The widespread embrace of Tiramisu in America can be attributed to its adaptability and the rising appreciation for global culinary influences. Today, Tiramisu has become a staple in countless American kitchens and a beloved dessert choice in homes and restaurants alike, testifying to the enduring magic of this Italian masterpiece on American taste buds.
Tiramisu Mascarpone Icing
This recipe is a nod to the iconic Italian dessert. It offers a smooth and decadent icing that encapsulates the essence of coffee-infused elegance and velvety mascarpone richness we normally find in Tiramisu.
- 4 oz of mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp Kahlua (coffee) liqueur
- 1 ½ cup of confectioners sugar
1. mix together the mascarpone and butter until fluffy
2.Then, add Kahlua and mix
3. With mixer on low, add in the powdered sugar until frosting is well combined
Notes: applying the icing to the cookies will be a lot easier if you put it into a piping bag, but you can always smear it on with a knife!
Tiramisu Cookie Ingredients
- Prep: 30 Minutes
- Cook: 15 Minutes
- Total: 45 Minutes
- Serving: 1 Cookie
- Yield: About 25
- Basic Butter Dough
- Tiramisu Mascarpone Icing
- ½ Tbs of Instant Espresso Powder
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp of Nutmeg
Directions for Tiramisu Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and espresso powder into softened dough
- Once combined, roll the dough out and use a cookie cutter to cut your cookies
- Put the cookies onto a pre-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack
- Once cooled, pipe prepared icing onto cookies.